Most parents know that children come with an incredible amount of stuff. Clothes, toys, books, craft supplies… the list can seem endless and the sheer volume of items overwhelming. Your children’s belongings can seem to take over the whole house, and even if you do manage to confine them all to one room, that room can soon become unmanageable in itself. Suddenly it’s impossible to find anything, and even more impossible to keep tidy. There just seems to be stuff everywhere. And yet… your children are complaining of boredom. How can this possibly be?
Here at A Fresh Start we can help.
No matter the age and number of your children we can provide professional support to help you declutter, eliminate excess and store what is left in the most appropriate way to help your children get the most out of their toys and eliminate those “there’s nothing to do” moments.
The process can be undertaken with or without your children present, it’s completely up to you, although in some circumstances we may advise you to undertake some or all of the process alone based on your children’s ages and the amount of work to be done. Of course if you’re looking forward to cutting the clutter without your children wanting to hold onto every last thing they’ve ever owned we’re happy to embrace the process with you!
Questions & Answers
Children’s toy decluttering is charged at the usual rate of £30 per hour. We will hold an initial consultation to assess the work to be done, which is charged at a flat rate of £20, and will take around half an hour. This charge is refunded against your invoice (making the consultation free) when you book in your decluttering sessions. If wanted this service also includes advice on the best toys and activities for the ages of your children and follow up information on where to purchase appropriate storage if needed.
As a former primary school teacher, I am in a unique position to help you make radical changes to your family’s lives. By completely altering your approach to your children’s belongings you can drastically change the way your family functions for the better.
An excess of toys and belongings can lead to:
- Poor behaviour in children
- Inability to create their own entertainment
- Poor sharing and fights amongst siblings
- Anxiety and stress
- Lack of respect for personal possessions
All these things occur because children are overwhelmed and over stimulated by the sheer amount of choice they have. We can help you and your family make a fresh start by taking you through a step by step process to radically reduce the number of toys in your house and improve the lives of you and your children.
Some key principals this method uses are:
- Less is more. This is a drastic cutting down of your children’s possessions.
- Whilst older children may be involved at certain points if you wish, this is mostly about you as a parent taking control of your house and improving your children’s lives, as such they will not be present during most of the process.
- Creative, open ended toys are embraced, whilst those that have limited scope for imagination are removed.
- Broken toys or those with missing parts are instantly discarded. Some toys may be re-purposed into a “toy library” that your children can borrow from from time to time.
- Special cuddly toys are sacred – don’t worry, we won’t be getting rid of that teddy bear they’ve slept with every night since they were born!
- Fewer, open ended toys mean that children are encouraged to play smarted, be calmer, use their imagination and learnt to cooperate better.
Sound scary? Don’t worry – it really does work and we will be here to guide you through every step of the way. Get in touch with us to learn more and discuss how we can best help you.